The view of the backyard from my mom's house

The view of the backyard from my mom's house
That light fixture is now gone, sadly.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sitting in Room 211 at the Harbor View Inn in Santa Barbara. Day One of spring break. Billie Holliday singing down low on the iPod so we won't bother the people next door who I think have little kids.

We stayed here many years ago when the kids were younger and threw occasional fits and we rode the fringe-topped bike things along the beach. We are here now to celebrate spring break and the fact that our kids are both out of town, setting the stage for the next phase of our marriage. One is in Boston, and the other just landed in Paris for a 10-week study and "vagabondage" experience.

I guess this is a bit of what the empty nest will be like.

Although I don't think it will often include lovely, deluxe dinners at places like Downey's on State Street. Champagne, shrimp, avocado, braised halibut for me, veal for him. So, so tasty and enjoyable. So much nicer than a burger and fries or whatever cheapy thing we usually do.

Santa Barbara looks as beautiful to me as ever.

Is anyone reading this thing? I've really lost interest in keeping it up. I think it's time has passed, perhaps. Time for a new fad, a new technological trend.

No comments: