The view of the backyard from my mom's house

The view of the backyard from my mom's house
That light fixture is now gone, sadly.

Sunday, August 16, 2009


We are in LaConner, Washington, to have a weekend of memorializing my husband's mom, who died last summer.

Although I have often felt like a friendly interloper here, none of that seems very important anymore. For the most part. The responsibility for the care of the patriarch does not fall to me, but there is something in the guiding of the next generation that is part of my unspoken expectation. I have two more members of the clan in my personal fold, having brought them, with the help of their dad, to add to this offshoot of the family tree. They carry parts of Kay and Glen and all the rest in the way they smile, the quickness with which they get their feelings hurt, and the sense of belonging to this collection of personalities in the Pacific Northwest.

And here's a bonus: one of my college roommates from 1977 is also here with her family, coincidentally staying in the hotel room across the hall from us! We were able to catch up a little last night at the LaConner Brewpub, and then she came back to our hotel room to play a few songs on my husband's guitar and give our kids pointers on playing. (Use a metronome and learn to tune your guitar well.) So cool. She has a new CD coming out in September called "Water Witch." Maybe I can post a snippet of a song here then.

2 comments:

amyonymous said...

i always want to go with you to the northwest. you have the sweetest adventures! how wonderful to see an old friend! and wonderful to have even more music going on.

Lisa said...

There are so many things to recommend living in the Northwest, and you know I am a fan of rain. But I've got to stop complaining about wanting to live there. I've discovered I've annoyed a few people with my kvetching. Still, it is a charming place if you can afford to live nicely enough.
And the music... So much good local stuff in small venues...
Maybe I will move back there and you can come and visit! I can imagine that very well.