The view of the backyard from my mom's house

The view of the backyard from my mom's house
That light fixture is now gone, sadly.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

There is a lot to be said for taking care of your own house. We had a busy and expensive summer making repairs and painting and winnowing just a little bit. Now it is the end of August, pretty much, and we can relax a bit and enjoy some of the fruits of our labors.

Well, the labors of the guys I paid to do the actual work. And for that I owe quite a bit to Angie's List. Or at least the yearly fee.

It seems that if there is any "extra" money at all, it goes to either travel or house fixing. We haven't really traveled anywhere outside of our relatives' homes in the Northwest for many years. Nothing exotic at all, and I think there is a sense that if we don't do it sometime, it may get to be too late. At least that's the feeling one gets when one watches older relatives who have absolutely no interest in traveling whatsoever. My mom cannot fathom coming down here anymore, and that's probably reasonable. My father-in-law also wants to stay home where he feels safe.

But I have am really aware of how little traveled I am, especially when it comes to Europe. I've been to Japan and Korea because of my husband's work, but I've never been to Paris. I need to go before I become too decrepit.

In the meantime, thank goodness for effective air conditioning.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I feel the same way about traveling - so many places I still want to go. Europe especially since I've never been. Was supposed to go when I turned 40 ..... oh well.

It WILL happen you'll see.