The view of the backyard from my mom's house

The view of the backyard from my mom's house
That light fixture is now gone, sadly.

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Facebook has me by the neurons these days, and it is not a good thing.

Yesterday I had plans to put my house in order, as we have done a bunch of interior painting and all my office stuff is in stacks throughout the house. I do not like to be disorganized. It makes me feel bad. And I need to get rid of 75 percent or so of the flotsam and jetsam that surrounds all of us in this little house.

That would include a fair amount of books I've purchased from Amazon and Powell's online, all intended to help me be a better teacher and administrator. Some of them are good, and many are repetitive and unimaginative. But I need to pass them on to the next anxious mid-life career changer (there are lots of us out there).

Plus I have two kids, one of whom is in college and the other who is heading off in that direction in a period of time. They both have a bunch of childhood odds and ends taking up space and those things need to be carted off for others to use and enjoy. I am having a tough time getting my daughter to let go of her books, though. I didn't realize she loved Dr. Seuss that much...

Anyway, I got on Facebook, which is the best way for me to communicate with my son and to see how he is communicating with others. And I looked up two or three hours later and saw that I had been bouncing all over FB and the various links to silly YouTube videos, checking out people's summer photos and trip descriptions, seeing who is friends with whom, etc.

I am only playing two Scrabble games and get easily frustrated on the other word games, so I didn't mess around there too much. But still. I've got to cut it out.

Self-discipline is not a strong suit for me. Will it ever be? I don't know. And today is Saturday, and school doesn't start officially for another some weeks... Time to relax!

No comments: