The view of the backyard from my mom's house

The view of the backyard from my mom's house
That light fixture is now gone, sadly.

Friday, July 24, 2009


Gosh, it's nice when friends leave comments. Thank you, friends!

I made a troubling discovery this last week.

As a middle school teacher/dean, I get invited to a thin trickle of bar and bat mitzvahs every year. I have preferred to give books I have loved as gifts, rather than money. It seems fitting, and the stories I've chosen are ones I truly have enjoyed.

For boys, I have given My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. And for girls, I have given one of my favorite gothic novels, Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte.

So I went to a ceremony this last weekend and was thumbing through Jane Eyre when I caught sight of a distinctly anti-Semitic remark toward the end of the book when Jane is arguing with Rochester about something having to do with her ability to take care of herself financially.

I was so surprised, not having remembered this exchange at all in the various times I've read or taught the book. But it totally wrecks my little plan of what I had considered my perfect teacher-gift for the bat mitzvah. Oy.

Now I have to find another great title about a plucky lass who overcomes great odds to find happiness. I've been considering A Little Princess despite the idea that most girls read it when they're eight, and that it ends with Sarah Crewe being rescued by a rich old man.

I'm on the hunt. All tips gladly taken!

1 comment:

amyonymous said...

you know, Asher Lev would be interesting to girls, too. it is all about finding your own place in your family and your culture. if you want females, seems there must be something in american lit (Alice Walker?) that has plucky heroines!