The view of the backyard from my mom's house

The view of the backyard from my mom's house
That light fixture is now gone, sadly.

Thursday, August 06, 2009


I just read Tom Davis's memoir called Thirty-Nine Years of Short-Term Memory Loss. It's about his beginnings as a comedy writer and performer with Al Franken, he of Minnesota senate fame. It's fascinating not only to read the details of their work on Saturday Night Live when it was a brand new show, but also to note Davis's very detached, minimalist approach to these historic events and the people he worked with.

It's also amazing to consider that Davis had the success he had considering all the drugs he ingested.

I was not ever a Deadhead in any fashion, but I am now curious about Jerry Garcia and what he meant to a ton of people my age. I need to listen to some GD highlights to refresh my perspective.

It was also very interesting to read about Davis's feelings of professional jealousy and competition with all the other writers and producers, and Franken, too. I was a fan of Franken's in particular for many years; it is illuminating to read the story of the guy who was there alongside him for much of his comedy career.

Oh, I'm going to go on record here as predicting that Al Franken and Arnold Schwarzenegger will vie for the presidency within the next 15 years.

No comments: