The view of the backyard from my mom's house

The view of the backyard from my mom's house
That light fixture is now gone, sadly.

Sunday, June 28, 2009


Tonight we had a dinner for three very dear friends who are leaving this region, our neighborhood, the whole flippin' state. It is time for them to move on to other, newer places and pursuits. We've known these three for about 20 years, give or take a few, and have been through some major California headlines with them (most notably the Rodney King riots) and many minor but meaningful events.

People do move on. People do decide to strike out for parts unknown all the time. I am excited and nervous for them, and not a little envious. I've daydreamed about getting an Airstream and packing up some books and a bowl and a toothbrush and taking off for der hinterlands. Maybe I'll do it yet.

No comments: